Several cold waves across the eastern United States have plunged the region into a deep cold plunge, and the trend looks to continue heading into the new year. And the countdown might not be the only thing approaching zero on New Years Eve.
Over the past week, warm air from the west coast has been pushed northwards into western Canada. This has allowed the cold arctic air to flood southward into the United States. Patterns of this magnitude tend to stay in place for a week or more, and this system going to last into early next week. Wind chill advisories and warnings have been posted across all of the Northern Plains, Central Plains, and Midwest. Temperatures close to or below zero along with gusty winds will create dangerously cold conditions Saturday night through Monday.
Temperatures Sunday will struggle into the mid teens, with generally light winds out of the west. High pressure will keep skies mostly clear, helping to bump up daytime highs slightly. The real impact of mostly clear skies will happen with overnight with lows quickly falling. By 8pm, temperatures will be dipping into the single digits near 5 degrees, steadily dropping close to zero approaching midnight (ironic right?).
For those out celebrating the new year across the midwest, make sure to bundle up and stay warm. Dressing in layers and limiting time outside is definitely advised. Extended periods of time outside without proper attire can lead to hypothermia, and in severe cases frostbite. Overnight wind chills will reach close to ten degrees below zero. With the extremely cold weather, that gives just one more reason to celebrate the new year inside with friends and family!
- 2020-2021 Snow Contractor Winter Forecast - November 7, 2020
- Winter Forecast 2021; Another Warm One? - November 4, 2020
- Canada, Welcome To The Leading Front In Weather! - August 31, 2020
- Big Warmup Begins, 70s-80s Widespread - May 13, 2020
- Expert Weather Forecasts: The City of Pittsburgh & Neoweather, LLC - April 20, 2020
- Neoweather Is Here For You During COVID-19 - March 16, 2020
- Major Lake Snow - February 28, 2020
- Will The Cold Stick Around? - January 17, 2020
- Major Weekend Widespread Storm - January 9, 2020
- Snow Contractors Need A Weather Service - November 25, 2019