If you love the magic watching snowflakes tumble to the ground while opening gifts with friends and family on Christmas Eve. If you long for living a real life Christmas story, which features walking down the stairs to a new-fallen snow Christmas morning then we have a forecast for you. A couple of low pressures systems will likely set up a white Christmas in parts of Ohio.
Temperatures have been mild this past week and that will continue until the start of the holiday weekend. A system will bring widespread rain across Ohio Friday night, but cold air will rush in from the northwest dropping temperatures from the 50s into the 30s. Sometime Saturday morning the snow appear on the western edge of the system. Rain will change to a mix and then snow. Wet slushy snow could accumulate up to a couple of inches in Northwest Ohio.
The system will quickly pull out during the afternoon hours exiting the state by evening. There should be a changeover to snow for at least the northern half of the state. Northeast Ohio might see a slushy coating to an inch in spots; mainly on grassy surfaces.
So it’s the night of December 23 and there is barely a coating of snow in spots? How is this whole white Christmas thing going to work out?
A piece of energy will swing out of the Pacific Northwest and into the central Plains. It will ride a temperature boundary between really cold Arctic air and some moist and milder air to the south. The low pressure won’t get too strong as it tracks across the Midwest, Great Lakes and Ohio Valley, but it will have a swath of a couple of inches of snow.
The snow will move through during the afternoon and evening hours on Christmas Eve just in time for travel to Christmas festivities, such as dinner with the family or evening mass. The snow might cause some inconvenience on the road, but we will add a covering of 1-3″ of snow for many across northern Ohio.
This should make a white Christmas a reality. There could be some scattered light snow showers around Christmas Day, especially in the primary snow belt. Some bands of lake effect snow are possible with a westerly wind.
Temperatures will be 20s Sunday falling into the upper teens Christmas Eve night. Expect only low 20s for highs on Christmas.
- 2020-2021 Snow Contractor Winter Forecast - November 7, 2020
- Winter Forecast 2021; Another Warm One? - November 4, 2020
- Canada, Welcome To The Leading Front In Weather! - August 31, 2020
- Big Warmup Begins, 70s-80s Widespread - May 13, 2020
- Expert Weather Forecasts: The City of Pittsburgh & Neoweather, LLC - April 20, 2020
- Neoweather Is Here For You During COVID-19 - March 16, 2020
- Major Lake Snow - February 28, 2020
- Will The Cold Stick Around? - January 17, 2020
- Major Weekend Widespread Storm - January 9, 2020
- Snow Contractors Need A Weather Service - November 25, 2019