A powerful low pressure system will approach Ohio this afternoon and overnight, bringing the possibility for severe thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. Much of this activity will be confined to western Ohio.
The Storm Prediction Center has placed southwestern Ohio in an Enhanced Risk for severe thunderstorms with parts of western and central Ohio in a Slight Risk for severe storms. A marginal risk for severe storms then surrounds it. Much of the severe weather will be located in the Enhanced and Slight risk areas. Storms will begin to move in after 6 PM and persist through roughly midnight or so before dissipating.
Damaging winds will be the biggest threat from these storms however, a few tornadoes are also possible. Large hail is also a possibility. Rainfall will be locally heavy and this could cause some localized flooding. Take steps this morning and early this afternoon to secure any loose objects outdoors such as trash cans, patio table and chairs, etc. before the storms move through. Also, be prepared to seek shelter if a tornado warning is issued for your area by having your safety kit already in your home’s safe spot. Ideal safe spots in your home are:
- Basement: under the staircase or something sturdy.
- If no basement, the most central room on the lowest level of your home such as a closet or bathroom.
- Storm Shelter
- If you live in a mobile home, locate a safe spot in a sturdy building or storm shelter nearby your home. If a warning is issued, leave your mobile home and go to that spot.
- If you are not at home, follow the safety procedures for the location you are in or follow the storm shelter signs now posted in many commercial buildings. If none are posted, common safe spots are the location’s rest rooms.
Here is a look at our Futurecast from this afternoon through the early overnight hours:
- New for 2020 – Call Alerting System - August 27, 2020
- New for 2020 – Redesigned Forecast Products - August 27, 2020
- New for 2020 – Weather Portal - August 27, 2020
- Independence Day Lunar Eclipse? Not So Fast! - July 4, 2020
- NEW! Client Portal To Access Forecast, Radar, Pay Your Bill & More! - August 18, 2019
- Recurring Billing Option Now Available - August 16, 2019
- New Product Names & Improvements - August 16, 2019
- NEW NEO Total Snowfall Reports Powered by Weather Command! - August 13, 2019
- Welcome To Our Newly Redesigned Website! - June 17, 2019
- Icy concerns across Interstate 90 Wednesday morning - February 4, 2019