After this Sunday and Monday’s winter storm that dumped over 24″ of snow in some spots, another will be arriving just on its heels. Winter storm warnings have been issued across Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. These are in anticipation of a second winter storm to impact the area with heavy snow Wednesday into Thursday. An area of low pressure will drop down from Canada into the Northeast. This system will have an extra piece of mid-level energy and moisture added to it from a weakening low moving across the Southeastern United States
Some snow showers could be ongoing late Tuesday night across the interior Northeast. But, heavier snow will not begin until mid-morning on Wednesday. The highest snowfall rates will be in the afternoon with some locations across western Maine and New Hampshire seeing nearly 1″ per hour. Some rain may mix in, but mainly early as cold air continues to move in. Winds will remain light and prevent any significant drifting snow.
Some recent indications in a few of the computer forecast models have been a secondary band of heavy snow forming over coastal southern Maine, New Hampshire, and even Massachusetts. But, confidence is not high in the latter scenario. Most of the snow moves out by Thursday morning leaving behind only a few snow showers for the region.
At this time, the highest totals are expected across the higher elevations in western Maine and central New Hampshire with up to a foot possible. However, some locally higher amounts are not entirely out of the question. Surrounding locations can expect a widespread 6-10″ from the system. At this point, an inch or two of snow also appears possible across the Atlantic coast down to Cape Hatteras.
Be sure to keep yourself logged on to Neoweather for important updates on the developing winter storm.
- New for 2020 – Call Alerting System - August 27, 2020
- New for 2020 – Redesigned Forecast Products - August 27, 2020
- New for 2020 – Weather Portal - August 27, 2020
- Independence Day Lunar Eclipse? Not So Fast! - July 4, 2020
- NEW! Client Portal To Access Forecast, Radar, Pay Your Bill & More! - August 18, 2019
- Recurring Billing Option Now Available - August 16, 2019
- New Product Names & Improvements - August 16, 2019
- NEW NEO Total Snowfall Reports Powered by Weather Command! - August 13, 2019
- Welcome To Our Newly Redesigned Website! - June 17, 2019
- Icy concerns across Interstate 90 Wednesday morning - February 4, 2019